Thursday, March 22, 2012

Sugar cookies


      My sister and I both work in the Newborn ICU, and this month our unit is having a bake sale to raise money for the March of Dimes.  Apparently last year they made about 3 grand from baked goods!  So we (and Hailey) made our delicious sugar cookies in all sorts of baby themed shapes.  They are so fun to make, but they do take a long time to frost. We split the icing into two different kinds. We leave some thick, and put in pastry bags to outline the cookie. The other half we thin down with water to cover the rest of the cookies. The best part about these cookies, they look cute and taste great!






Here is the recipe.  It helps if you do what Chelsie and I do and pretend they are zero calories!

Sweet Annie's Sugar Cookies
2 C. butter                       1 1/2 C. sugar
4 egg yolks                       2 tsp. vanilla
4 to 4 1/2 C of flour          1/2 tsp. salt

Mix dough and chill for half an hour. Roll the the dough out on a floured board and cut as desired. Bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes.

Royal Icing

3-4 egg whites ( I use meringue powder instead)
2 lbs. powdered sugar
1/4 tsp almond flavoring ( I add a lot more!)
1/2 tsp clear vanilla ( I also add more of this)
1/2 tsp butter flavoring ( I don't add this)

Beat the egg whites, add the sugar and thin with water.  You can now add the flavoring.  I leave some frosting thick to put in pastry bags ( I usually use a size 4 tip).  The other half of the frosting I thin down with water and put in squeeze bottles. Divide into bowls and add food coloring!



Enjoy
Love- Christy


Pin It!

1 comment: