Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Cake and Casserole Tray


Our cute friend Jillian made this adorable tray. I love that it is deep enough to put a casserole dish or a cake pan in it.  There have been so many times I need to take a hot pan to a party and I have no idea how to transport it.  With this tray you can arrive in style. 
Jillian was sweet enough to do a guest post for us on how she made it.
 I absolutely fell in LOVE with this when I saw it. It was sooo simple to make and only cost me under $10 to build {not including serving dish} I got this idea from shanty-2-chic Her ideas are always so cute and so simple I knew even I could make this :) This is a gift for my mother in law who is always hosting parties and making meals for others so it was an ideal present for her. It works great to carry hot platters and holds up to a 9x13 pan. I think this tray would also look great on a coffee table with a vase of flowers and picture frame in it.



You start off with 2 1x4 furring strips from Lowe's found in the lumber dept. They only cost 1.99 ea! You will also need wood glue, stain, finish nails, handles and spray paint for your handles. You cut 2 pieces at 10.5" (short ends) , 2 pieces at 17.5"(long ends) and 3 pieces at 16" (bottom slats). Attach it with wood glue and finish nails. Let it dry completely before staining. I just used a soft cloth to rub the stain on. Then I purchased my handles on sale at Hobby Lobby for 1.50 ea. Spray painted them with an ivory color and sanded the edges a bit.





 I added a cute serving platter {$8 at Ross} and tied some ribbon around it! I love the end result!



We hope you enjoy this great DIY project
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment